Saturday 12 May 2012

TZATZIKI



Usually, as soon as the money is out of my wallet and into the doctor's I become absolutely the pinkest picture of health, but this time I came back with another infection that enjoys my company a lot more that I do.
After practically a month of harbouring the dear unwanted guest I have decided, with the power of my mind to bid adieu to it. I think now, more than the doctor's prescription, I need the excitement of writing the blog, to get me back on track.
So picking up from where I left, I would like to share a very tasty recipe, that of Tzatziki.

Wonder where the word originated..one look at the word and Russian folk tales come to my mind with Prince Ivan finally uniting with the Princess and eventually becoming the Tzar. But I checked and it is probably of Turkish origin.

Tzatziki- A simpler version is found in India called Pudina Raita, where the yogurt, salt and dried crushed mint leaves are mixed well together or a mint chutney is beaten into the yogurt. It can be used as a side dish or as a dip with kebabs. When eaten as a side dish it adds to the protein in a well-balanced meal.

I love to eat it as a dip with a few additions that the Turkish people have made, making this simple dip more nutritious.
Mint in this preparation makes it very refreshing.

Tzatziki

Adding cucumber to it makes it more refreshing.
If you can't grow cucumbers in your garden don't fret, grow some mint instead. Grow the used stems and enjoy the freshness of mint right in your garden.

TZATZIKI:
Ingredients:

.Yogurt...................................1cup (gives 1/2 cup hung yogurt)
.Cream....................................2 Tbsp.
.Salt........................................to taste
.Black pepper powder............1 tsp.
.Garlic....................................1 clove, crushed into paste (approximately 1 tsp.)
.Cucumber...............................1/4th cup, grated and water squeezed out
.Mint leaves............................2 Tbsp., finely chopped +1 sprig for garnish
.Walnut....................................2Tbsp. very finely chopped(optional)
.Pomegranate seeds..................1 tsp. for garnish

Method:
Hung yogurt:
.Put the yogurt in a muslin cloth and tie it up. Hang this on a tap in the kitchen sink or on a knob with a
 collecting bowl under it to collect the liquid draining from the yogurt(due to gravity). Do not squeeze
 out the liquid by pressing. 1 cup yogurt should give approximately 1/2 cup hung yogurt.
.When drained, remove the thick hung yogurt into a bowl.

For the dip:
.Add cream, salt, black pepper powder and garlic paste(freshly made by crushing) to the hung yogurt.
.Mix well to get a smooth mixture.
.Grate the cucumber and squeeze out the water from it.
.Add the cucumber and mint leaves to the yogurt mixture.
.Add the finely chopped walnuts to add to the crunch and nutritive value of the preparation. (optional)
.Garnish with a sprig of mint and some pomegranate seeds to add colour if you like.

Tzatziki with rye pitta bread
 Note:
.This dip can be used as part of the filling inside the pitta bread pockets.

4 comments:

  1. I so wanna have it again :) !! Fingerlicking it was!

    Great job, Di. Way to go !

    Shruti Sethi

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Shruti,
      Thanks a lot. I am happy you enjoyed eating it. I hope you do try to make it too.
      cheers!
      Tulika

      Delete
  2. Will be trying it one of these days soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear CL,
      I will be waiting to hear from you after you have tried the recipe.
      cheers!!
      Tulika

      Delete