Monday 26 March 2012

COLOCASIA WITH FENUGREEK LEAVES

Everytime I go shopping for vegetables my children give me a list of their favourite vegetables that they would like to eat during the week, and always without fail, colocasia turns up topmost. It is a staple in my dinner menus for parties where another version of this dish(without the fenugreek leaves) is in high demand even with my friends.
Though I think I should dedicate this one to my elder brother-in-law, who a few years ago during his visit with my family and me, fell in love with it. I had promised to give him my recipe but just didn't get around to doing it.

Tired of making colocassia in the regular fashion I decided to give it a new look.
Just looking around in my refrigerator for some inspiration, I found tucked in a corner, fenugreek leaves.
These leaves have often come to my rescue.

They are slightly bitter in taste, something I simply hated as a kid but miraculously fell in love with, as an adult.
I think this would be the story of many children around the world especially in India, where this vegetable is eaten during the winter months in various preparations. As children we were supposed to finish everything on the plate and this was always on the plate, invariably the last dish on the plate, raring to fall into the trash-can 'accidentally', but never did make it there under the watchful eyes of mother. I am so sure my mother knew what I was planning to do because as a kid  I think she too had the same thoughts.


Colocasia with fenugreek(methi) leaves
 
Now I do the same, with a difference. I tell my kids about the nutritive and the medicinal values of this  mouthwateringly aromatic leafy vegetable.
They contain a good amount of vitamin C, vitamin A, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and many minerals such as calcium, potassium, magnesium, phosphrous, iron, copper, sodium and others. Being leafy it has a good amount of dietary fiber. This leaf is used in many Indian preparations as the main ingredient or as a garnish (kasuri methi) in North-Indian gravied dishes.
The fenugreek seeds too are used widely as a spice in various preparations and they help in fight against arthritis, diabetes and in maintaining our blood sugar levels. Grown all over the world in semi-arid conditions these seeds are also known for improving milk- production in lactating mothers.

Colocasia is an underground root tuber just like the sweet potato and has lovely ornamental leaves which are also used in some Indian preparations. I grow them in my house in a pot and enjoy the beautiful look of the elephantile leaves. Colocasia or taro root contains a good amount of dietary fiber, complex cabohydrates, healthy amounts of minerals and vitamin B-complex group, and is eaten in many parts of the world.

COLOCASIA WITH FENUGREEK LEAVES

Ingredients:

.Colocassia..........................................325 gm, boil and peel
.Oil......................................................for frying
.Fenugreek leaves................................1/2 cup, finely chopped
.Oil......................................................1 tsp
.Cumin seeds.......................................1 tsp
.Ginger................................................1 tsp grated
.Green chili..........................................2 tsp finely chopped
.Red chili powder................................1/2 tsp
.Turmeric powder...............................1/8th tsp
.Dry raw mango powder.....................1/2 tsp


masala mix:
.Roasted cumin seed powder...............2 tsp
.Red chili powder................................1 tsp
.Dry raw mango powder(amchur)........2 tsp
.Salt....................................................1/2 tsp
.Black salt...........................................1/4th tsp


Method:
.Wash and boil colocassia in a pressure cooker for 5 to 6 minutes in 2 cups of water.
.Rinse with cold water and peel with hand as the skin slips off easily.
.Cut lengthwise into half and flatten slightly between the palms.
.Heat oil for frying and deep fry the colocassia to a golden brown.
.In a bowl mix together salt, black salt, roasted cumin powder, red chili powder, dry raw mango powder
 to make the masala mix.
.Sprinkle half this dry powder mix on the fried colocassia. Set aside.
.Heat oil in a wok.
.Add cumin seeds, green chili and ginger and stir fry for 1 minute.
.Add fenugreek leaves and mix well.
.Cook for 3 to 4 minutes stirring continuously till the leaves crisp up.
.Add the remaining masala mix and mix well.
.Add the deep fried and spiced colocassia.
.Toss till all colocassia are well coated with the leaf mixture.
.Serve hot.

Note:
.You can add 2 Tbsp of chopped coriander leaves along with the fenugreek leaves, if you like.
 I like the unadulterated flavour of the fenugreek hence I don't add the coriander leaves.
.This preparation can be very versatile. It can be eaten as a starter, a crispy side dish, inside wraps, in
 grilled sandwiches or as a main dish for which all you need to do is make a gravy.
.I like to serve it in a pearl white gravy  which I will write about in my next post.


5 comments:

  1. I do enjoy reading the stories that connect with your recipes , these inside stories help me connect with your personality and persona .
    Love the sound of this exotic vegetable and it's unusual combination with fenugreek leaves - a must try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Jaya, Thank you so much. It is so nice to hear that you like my write-ups.I too enjoy sharing my experiences through my writing.
      Hope to hear your comments after you try this recipe and others too.
      Happy cooking

      Delete
  2. what other vegetables can be substituted for colocassia?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      You can substitute colocasia with baby potatoes.....boil and flatten with skin and then fry them.This will give a similar texture.
      Or you can just saute and add red, yellow, and green peppers, potato, french beans, eggplant and such other vegetables..all together or in any combination.

      Delete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete