Wednesday 22 February 2012

EGGPLANT WITH OKRA (LADY'S FINGER)

One day I was all alone in my home with my husband travelling and my kids at their friends' homes for a sleepover. I had 15 minutes before my favourite tv programme started , a very hungry stomach and nothing but 2 Japanese eggplants, 15 lady fingers, an onion and half a tomato. All stock in my refrigerator had depleted.
I set my kitchen timer at 14 minutes...well, one minute grace period just in case I needed it. I finished it in 13 minutes flat. By the end of 15 minutes I was sitting in front of my tv grinning ear to ear and ready to attack my food. Though this preparation is good enough for 4 persons I ate it all by myself.


 Though I know some who don't like Okra because of the seeds and remove them painfully out of every little piece of the vegetable, it is loved by most Indian adults and children. Low in calories, contains no saturated fats, is a rich source of dietary fiber, vitamins C, K, A , vitamin B-complex group,  minerals and many other nutrients. The slimy substance in the vegetable helps in smooth peristalsis of the digested food and helps in relieving constipation.

I have met numerous people who dislike eggplant. Some say it does not have any nutrients so why go through the trouble of cooking and eating it, they believe it is the name beygun which means without any good. And many such reasons for not eating it. Some don't eat it because their friends don't eat it.The best one though was 'it is like fish growing on a plant'.

I would like to dispel such beliefs. Eggplants are a good source of Vitamin K, Vitamin B6, Potassium, Manganese, Folic acid, dietary fiber and is low in cholesterol.
And are extremely tasty. I would eat them even if it didn't have any nutritive value.

It is amazing how this vegetable has it's origins in India and has travelled all the way to Italy and is now a staple vegetable there and in the entire Mediterranean Region.

This one I promise will become part of your bi-weekly menu right away and then move in on the weekly menu and soon will be in the list of your comfort foods just as it is in mine.
Here's what I did.

EGGPLANT WITH OKRA

Ingredients:
.Japanese eggplant......................2*
.Okra.........................................15
.Onion........................................1 medium, sliced
.Garlic........................................1 clove, chopped finely
.Fresh red chili............................1/2, chopped finely
.Fresh curry leaves......................5 to 6
.Ginger.......................................1/2 inch piece, grated
.Cumin seeds..............................1 tsp.
.Asafoetida powder(optional)......a small pinch
.Coriander powder.....................3 tsp.
.Turmeric powder.......................1/2 tsp.
.Red chili powder........................1 tsp.
.Salt ...........................................to taste
.Tomato......................................1 small, chopped
.Tomato puree.............................2 Tbsp.
.Water.........................................2 Tbsp.
.Oil.............................................for frying
.Oil.............................................1 tsp.

Method:
.Heat oil for frying (blanching in hot oil)* in a wok.
.Meanwhile  trim and cut the eggplant into a vertical 1/2 and then into 1 1/2 inch thick slices breadthwise.
.Trim the tops off the okra (optional) and cut into 1/2.
.When oil is hot slide in the eggplant pieces with the skin-side in the oil first. This will seal the colour. Turn
 after 1 minute and fry on the cut side for 1 minute. Remove and set aside on an absorbent kitchen towel.
.Add the okra to the oil and fry for 1 minute or till the colour brightens. Remove and set aside along with the 
 eggplant.
.Heat 1 tsp. oil in a skillet.
.Add cumin seeds. When they splutter add the curry leaves, ginger, garlic, fresh red chili and saute for 30
 seconds.
.Add onions thinly sliced and a little salt. Saute till light pink.
.Add coriander powder, red chili powder, turmeric powder and a little salt.
.Add the chopped tomato and tomato puree. Mix well.
.Add 2 Tbsp. of water and mix well.
.Add the fried eggplant and okra.
.Mix gently till all vegetables are coated with the gravy.
.Check for salt. Add more if required and mix gently.
.Cook on a slow fire for 5 to 6 minutes.
.Serve hot with Rice or Chapatis.

Note: *Blanching in hot oil seals the flavour of the vegetables as well as their colour.
*Japanese eggplants are deep purple in colour and small in size and look very similar to the Holland eggplant.
  A medium sized round eggplant can also be used. Or the long purple one too but I like the taste of the
  Japanese eggplant.



back to Spring in a bowl

10 comments:

  1. Sounds like a very do-able recipe for me. Will be trying it out one of these days for sure.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Tulika Aunty! I cooked this for dinner tonight and it turned out to be absolutely delicious! I love that you mention the nutritional benefits of the ingredients. It makes cooking and eating all the more enjoyable! Can't wait for more delicious recipes! =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thx a ton Tanuf. I am so happy you tried it and liked it.

    Thx CL. do let me know if you liked it and if the recipe was easy to follow.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Di,
    I will be making this recipe for my in-laws who love both Eggplants n Okra.
    Please suggest which brand of tomato puree is preferable?
    Can't wait to try this!! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Tanya,
      You can use any tomato purée available in the market, though I prefer to use duChef.

      Delete
  5. Lucky me, I got the chance to relish the chef's version. Yummy, I tell you !

    Shruti Sethi

    ReplyDelete
  6. THE BEST DISH EVER!!! I made this a week ago and when I tried this delicacy, I felt I was in heaven..!! Post more of these heavenly dishes soon... ;)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dear Anonymous,
      Thank you so much for trying out this recipe. Hope you like the other recipes too.

      Delete
  7. Excellent recipe !!!

    ReplyDelete